Hey there, web wanderers! Ever stumbled upon a website that felt like deciphering an ancient hieroglyphic code? Fear not! Today, we’re diving headfirst into the wonderful world of readability – because let’s face it, no one wants to feel like they need a decoder ring to understand your content. Buckle up for a rollercoaster ride through the whimsical realm of making your website content a breeze to read!
- Font Fandango: Think of your font as the superhero cape of your website. Choose wisely! Opt for clean, easy-to-read fonts like Arial, Helvetica, or good ole’ Times New Roman. Skip the wild, cursive adventures unless you want your visitors to embark on a font safari!
- Size Matters (for Text!): No one enjoys squinting like they’re auditioning for a pirate role in a movie. Make your text size comfortably readable. A font size of around 16 pixels is the sweet spot – just enough to keep those eyes relaxed and happy.
- Color Chronicles: While a rainbow might be fantastic in the sky, it’s less charming in your text. High contrast between your text and background colors is key. Black on white, white on black – the classics never go out of style. Don’t be the rebel who thinks red text on a green background is a good idea! Do your best to stay away from any red text. It tends to be too hard to see.
- Paragraph Paradise: Break up that text! Walls of words are like a maze with no exits. Keep your paragraphs short and sweet. Each paragraph is a pit stop in the adventure of your content – guide your readers with ease.
- Heading Havoc: Headings are your trusty sidekicks, leading the way through the content jungle. Use them wisely and consistently. H1 for main titles, H2 for subtitles, and so on. Think of it as creating a roadmap for your readers – no one likes getting lost in the vast wilderness of your thoughts.
- Whimsical White Space: White space is the secret ingredient to a delightful reading experience. It’s like the oxygen that helps your content breathe. Don’t cram everything together; let your words and images dance with a bit of elbow room.
- Image Magic: Sprinkle images throughout your content to break the monotony. But beware! Opt for images that enhance your message rather than distract. A picture is worth a thousand words, not a thousand distractions.
- List Lunacy: Bullet points and numbered lists are your allies in the fight against content chaos. They organize information in a way that’s easy to digest. Plus, they add a dash of excitement to your content. Who doesn’t love a good listicle? (after all, you seem to like this one!)
- Link Lagoon: Hyperlinks are the magical portals to more information. Make them stand out, but not too much. A tasteful color change or an underline will do the trick. Just remember, a clickable link is a potential adventure waiting to happen!
- Testing, Testing, 1-2-3: Before you unleash your masterpiece upon the digital realm, give it a test run. Check your website’s readability using tools like the Flesch Reading Ease score. Aim for a score between 60 and 70 – the Goldilocks zone of readability.
ADA Accessible For Your Website
To ensure everyone can properly view your website, you should have your site coded to be ADA compliant. This allows readers to see your site in various font sizes, colors, etc. When you add ADA compliance to your site, you no longer leave money on the table. Don’t miss out on the business you could have capitalized on, if your site would have been accessible for all.
There you have it, intrepid content creators! Embrace the power of readability, and watch as your website becomes a beacon of clarity in the vast sea of the internet. Happy crafting, and may your words flow as smoothly as a river of chocolate in Willy Wonka’s factory!