Video blogging and advertisements have become increasingly important in social media marketing. While it’s clearly an important part of any company’s marketing strategy, it can be overwhelming to know where to start.Creating and editing video might seem like a highly technical and daunting task, but don’t worry! Making video content is easier than you think. We have some tools and tricks that will help make it easier to begin producing video content - or if you’re already doing video, how to take your video content to the next level.
Did you know that in a recent study, HubSpot found that 54% of consumers prefer video to other kinds of content? It’s true. Increasingly, consumers are looking for video content. There are several benefits to using video content:
- Engaging - With a combination of voice, motion, and sound, video ads are more engaging than a text based content post
- Personal - Video automatically puts a face and voice to your brand and that helps your audience feel more connected to you. Consumers are much more likely to buy from brands they know more about and feel more connected to.
- Functional - Market trends are pointing to video content. The market is making a shift into that direction and it makes sense for your brand to practice now and be ahead of the game.
Here at Captevrix, we’ve noticed a significant increase in audience interaction after we launched video content.
You know video content is important - so now what? Creating video content may seem easier said than done but there are a few simple tricks that you can follow that will give your video content a professional, engaging edge that will make it stand out.
You can have the best content in the world but if your audience can’t hear it due to poor audio quality or are distracted by shaky camera handling and too much background noise, your video content will fall flat. In order to see the benefits of producing video content, you need to make sure that you’re producing professional-grade content so your audience will be able to absorb and interact with your content. Having professional quality video will also instantly boost your credibility. When looking at what kind of equipment you need, let’s start with the basics:
Your camera is going to be capturing the base of your video content, so you’ll want to make sure you have a functioning camera. While you can certainly invest in more expensive professional camera options, you can absolutely use your iPhone camera or your laptop webcam. Most phone and webcams have high enough quality for YouTube and other platforms. Your camera is just the foundation. Your video messaging will be enhanced by lighting, sound, and editing software. If you have to sacrifice one area due to budget, hold off on the fancy camera so you can invest in better lighting equipment or editing software. Make sure that your camera is functional and captures high enough quality to show up well on YouTube, and you’re set!
Adequate lighting is crucial to video content. Investing in some light boxes will instantly boost the quality of your videos. You have options ranging from this LED bestseller on Amazon for $149 and this much more affordable option for $49. If you’re just starting out, the affordable options will work just fine. Bear in mind, though, that light boxes have a fairly limited shelf life before they wear out, so you’ll get what you pay for. The cheaper options will work well - you just will likely be replacing them more often. In addition to light boxes, there are other photography tips that will help make your video quality the best it can be. Natural lighting is your best friend. Try to shoot in well-lit areas during daylight hours to capitalize on natural lighting. You want the light to illuminate the subject so make sure it’s coming from behind or directly to the side of the camera.
Editing will make or break your video content. The right editing software allows you to enhance sound, adjust lighting, and of course make the video flow seamlessly. If you’re just starting out or have a low budget, iMovies or Movie Maker for Microsoft works great. They are free and provide all of the basic features that you’ll need to get started. When you’re ready to bring your video editing to the next level, our team uses Premiere Pro and Cincopa. They aren’t necessary to produce video content, but they are a worthwhile investment.
Having the right equipment will help to highlight your content. Once you’ve made sure you have the right equipment you can turn your attention to content.
When you begin to incorporate video into your blogging and social media marketing campaign, you have nearly limitless options in what you can use video for. Before you begin recording, it’s a good idea to set up a video blogging strategy and work the video into your regularly scheduled content.
- Use on-screen text or graphics - Incorporating on screen text or graphics can ad a visual element that helps your audience retain information better and makes your video pop.
- Tell a story - Even if it’s a promotional video or a short teaser video announcing upcoming events or content, plan out your content in advance and make sure it tells a clear, concise story.
- Include calls to action - Don’t forget to end your video content with calls to action. Let the audience know what you want them to do - following your social media accounts, sign up for newsletters, subscribe to your YouTube channel, etc.
- Be concise - Don’t be afraid of short videos. While you don’t want to sacrifice material, it’s a good idea to try to keep your videos as short as possible.
- Be creative - Videos allow your audience to feel connected to you and your brand. Video blogging is more personal than text-only blog content. Video blogs and ads are a great way to offer a more casual look at the people of your brand. Use your video content to show your audience your fun side.
- Green Screens! - Here at Captevrix, we are installing a green screen in one of the offices. This will help give us flexibility, consistency, and a great way to further our client’s branding efforts!
Video content is a great way to connect with your audience. It can be used in many different ways - for promotions, tutorials, product announcement, and behind-the-scenes looks into your brand. Adding video content to your blogging strategy is definitely worth it - and fairly easy to do with the right steps. Stepping up your video blogging game - or starting it - doesn’t have to be complicated. Once you have the right equipment and great content, start shooting! It’s important to produce content. The more you produce content, the more you’ll hone your skills and learn what works best for your brand.