Authentic. It seems like such an overused word. However, it is relevant in the arena of social media. It can make the difference from being stagnant on social media to making connections with an interested audience.
First, let’s establish what we mean by being authentic. Merriam Webster has many definitions of what ‘authentic’ means, but the one we found most relevant for this topic is: ‘true to one’s own personality, spirit, or character’. So keep this in mind as you continue reading.
Here are 4 tips for creating an authentic social media presence:
Consistently posting will help you reach your audience. You could say consistency is a key part of social media to create a higher reach and increase engagement. If you aren’t consistent your audience will just tune you out. Setting a schedule to post will ensure you are consistently posting. There is no rule that you have to post every single day, but you should have a set schedule so your audience knows what to expect from you.
Engage with your audience.
Authenticity requires engagement. If you just post and leave, your followers will think your business doesn’t care or you are just lazy . It’s harsh, but true. How can you expect your audience to engage with you if you’re not willing to engage with them? Ask them questions. Get to know them and what they like. This will help you post more relevant material that they want. Encourage them with quotes and make them laugh with hilarious memes. Just make sure these types of memes and quotes will inspire your audience and the type of humor they will understand.
Stop selling so much.
Yes it’s ok to promote yourself, but you should follow the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time share things that are not products or services. Share things that are useful and engaging to your audience. Give them a tip, share a funny picture, share your latest blog, teach them something they didn’t already know. The other 20% of the time it’s ok to tell them about the services and products you offer. Tell them about your current specials and the value that your products or services will give them.
Yes this sounds kind of silly, but think about it. We use emojis in our everyday lives when you talk to your friends. According to an article on Social Media Examiner , emojis can be used as a tool to help humanize your business. Emojis are good at giving a personal touch. When it comes to authenticity it’s all about your business having a personality and being social. After all you are on social media, so have fun with it.
Even if you think the word authentic has become cliche, it is still relevant to your social media success. Hopefully this blog has given you some different ideas on how you can be more authentic. Engagement is important if you want an authentic social media presence. We understand with your busy schedules you may not have the proper amount of time to invest in your social presence. Our experts at Captevrix are here to help. With years of experience in growing and maintaining successful social media accounts , our team can work with you to revamp your social accounts so that they work as a marketing tool that brings you a positive return. Schedule a free consultation to learn more.